A small but serene harbour, with a royal seal of approval. Park here for access to Peedie Sands over the cliffs.
Dwarwick is small but perfectly formed harbour - well, more of a pier - but is suitable for small craft to take off from, making it a handy spot for anglers and sea fishermen.
But the site has also seen folk of an altogether more royal nature land here. Nearby is a plaque which commemorates this moment:
Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh with their children Prince Charles and Princess Anne Landed at this pier from H.M.R.Y. "Britannia" on 12th August 1955 on a visit to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother at the Castle of Mey.
The site, sheltered from prevailing winds and rough tides by the great land mass of Dunnet Head, has likely been important throughout history: the 'wick' element of Dwarwick would seem to indicate that this is a place of some antiquity, the name deriving from the Norse for 'landing place'.
The original small stone pier was constructed and funded by the Caithness County Council and the people of Dunnet between 1893 and 1897. The pier was constructed across 'Buoy Stones' which are noted in 1st edition Ordnance Survey map.